Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Fun Discovery




As you may or may not know, Kristen and Matt and their five children live in Brigham City. Matt had to meet with his Bishop on Sunday evening in Bishop Kennedy's home. Matt walked into their home, saw the lamp and asked how they came to have it. The story goes as follows: Bishop Kennedy's family lived in Lovell, and had bought furniture from what will possibly prove to be the Shoshone Furniture Company in Cody in the very early 1950's or late 1940's. The furniture and lamp have always been referred to by the Kennedy family as their Cody furniture. When Bishop Kennedy's parent's passed away (I think I am getting this right, but if not, hopefully Kristen will help me out), the furniture and lamp were among the family heirlooms that the children felt very emotionally attached to, and so names were drawn to see who would get what pieces. Bishop Kennedy ended up with the chairs (can't remember if Kristen said they have a couch as well) and the lamp. When Matt saw the lamp, he was sure it was Kristen's Grandfather who made it. Kristen goes visiting teaching with Bishop Kennedy's wife, and so today she was able to take some pictures and now we can enjoy them. It was particularly fun to see Dad's stamp from inside the lampshade. The family still has the original receipt and as soon as Kristen can get a copy of it, I will post that as well. It will tell us how much was paid for these treasures.

Steve will be able to fill us in on the history of the furniture and the lamp. When I talked with him, he told me all kinds of things I didn't know about this world Dad and Mom lived in during the Molesworth years.

Wouldn't Dad have been in awe to think that there are people out in the world who treasure his work to the extent that it is considered a treasure for them. I think this is just another tribute to our Father who never really knew how beautiful his work was, and to Mother who encouraged and supported him in doing something he loved to do.

7 comments:

Judy said...

UNBELIEVEABLE! I have tears in my eyes.

Elizabeth said...

It is a small world, after all! How amazing that there are so few of the original lamps and shades in the family, but that one is still in existance in Brigham City! What a neat find! Wonder how much was originally paid for the lamp and shade?

Ann said...

The receipt has been kept by the family and Kristen's friend has put out a request to get a copy of it. Then we will know. Steve said one of these lamp shades sold for about $2,500 (Steve, am I remembering that correctly?).

Steve Blood said...

2 Shades for $2500.00. The lamp base here probably wasn't dad's but I wouldn't swear to it. I double checked on the chair, it could go as high as $7000.00. If it says SHOSHONE FURNITURE it's a Molesworth other wise it was probably Hindman. The trick with dad's work is to find the furniture with the inlays.

Steve Blood said...

By the way The Western Woodcraft stamp was kept in mom's desk and she also kept very good records of items sold. Who's got em?

Ann said...

Dwight has the ledger book (that he promises to drop off at my house this spring since he borrowed it from me for a short time about 2-3 years ago). Could that contain the record you are asking about?

KristenT said...

You got the story right, Mom! I just had to add that it was the coolest thing to see Grandpa's name on that lamp. I'm sure that my bishop's wife thought I had gone nutty when I did a little jig around her living room. Hopefully, pictures will be taken of the other furniture and a receipt will be found. I will stay on top of it and let you know!
Kristen