Monday, January 31, 2011

The Silk Scarf


This is an item from the past. If my memory is correct, the story about this scarf goes like this. It was given to Dad by a "dudene" who had come to the dude ranch in Sunlight in the late 1920's. He was pretty smitten with her, but it turned out to be a summer romance. When Dad met Mother, he gave her the scarf. She used to wear it tied around her head with her hair in a knot at the back of her head.. Later, when I was in high school, and it was the fashion to wear a small scarf knotted at the neck of your blouse or sweater, I inherited the scarf, and wore it for many years. As you can see, it is shredded at the edge, and now is only good for a memento of the past.

2 comments:

Judy said...

If you hadn't written this post, no one would have ever known the significance of that old, faded scarf. I do remember you wearing it with your cardigan sweater that went everywhere with you. I am always amazed at the power pull items from the past have.

Ann said...

I'm with Judy. I had no idea this scarf had such a history. What fun it is to know "the rest of the story". Thank you. I am equally amazed you still have the scarf. It is amazing what survives the years of moving, cleaning out the unnecessary stuff, and just plain disappearing.