Monday, February 2, 2009

Hope You Don't Mind

If I only had my blog up and running - but since I don't and I really want to share this, I hope you don't mind me sending this your way on a sunny but cold Monday morning. This had such an impact on me when it was read in church (Relief Society) yesterday and I wanted to pass it along. In a time when many are feeling just a little out of control, reading this reminded me that, in fact, we do have choices to make.

(I am not certain of the title, but I do know it was written by Goethe who lived from 1749-1832)

I have come to the
frightening conclusion
that I am the decisive
element.

It is my personal approach
that creates the climate.
It is my daily mood that makes
the weather.

I possess tremendous power
to make life miserable or
joyous.

I can be a tool of torture or
an instrument of inspiration.
I can humiliate or humor,
hurt or heal.

In all situations, it is my
response that decides
whether a crises is escalated or
de-escalated, and a person is
humanized or de-humanized.

If we treat people as they are,
we make them worse.
If we treat people as they
ought to be, we help them
become what they are
capable of being.

2 comments:

Judy said...

How wise! These words inspire me to rewrite my song and they give the confidence and desire to do so. Never hesitate to share what has the potential to make life happier. Thank you, Ann.

Elizabeth said...

What good food for thought on this cold, clear day on the 2nd day of February! (Did Phil see his shadow?) I suppose it's the difference of being pro-active, or being acted upon - and none of us are comfortable with the latter. Remember, "Scatter sunshine everywhere you go, Cheer and bless and brighten every passing day."