Thursday, February 7, 2013

Christmas Letter from Great-aunt Rose


Little gems pop up from time to time in old correspondence.  I didn't think that I had anything from our great-aunt Rose, but this was in my papers.  Every year, Mother and Daddy received a hand painted Christmas card from her.  You'll have to enlarge the letter part to really read it, but the information in it does corroborate a couple of things (or maybe three.)  Great Aunt Elsie had died in November of 1971, and this note acts as a third source.  Also, the information to Dad about how Aunt Elsie felt about him was important.  After all, he had spent the ranch money on a new suit so that he could go to Penrose and marry Mother.  All was not perfect, but what counted was that Elsie gave Dad a home and some warmth (and enough food to eat) during his later teen years.
(By the by, I checked on comments on both this Penrose Mornings and my Crystal Prisms blog, and it seems that Judy and Ann are the major followers of these blogs (me, too).  Where are the rest of you?  We miss you.)

5 comments:

Ann said...

I suspect Rose's comments were very consoling for Dad. To be haunted by one's past mistakes is not a pleasant thing, and to find peace is a blessing.

Ann said...

This really isn't to make 2 comments show up, but as an additional thought, do you suppose everyone is tired of the blog? You just found a gem that tells me it is important to hang in there, even if it is only an occasional post.

Elizabeth said...

Steve tells me that with his new Explorer, he can't post comments. Drat!

Elizabeth said...

Steve tells me that with his new Explorer, he can't post comments. Drat!

Judy said...

Steve can email his comments to me and I will be happy to post them...
I remember going through the little cedar chest (in Dwight's possession) with Mother and she would let us look at Aunt Rose's art work on letters, cards, etc. I think she was a lovely person inside and out.