Sunday, October 20, 2013

The End

I did continue to learn things last week.  One day I was asking Eli if he really liked first grade.  He gave me this incredulous look and with a little "Duh" informed me he is in second grade. Ok, so I blew that one. I also learned that even in today's world there is nothing that tastes as good to a sick child as homemade chicken noodle soup and tapioca pudding.  Whew, it was nice to know that old fashioned cures are still appreciated.
I also learned it takes exactly 65 minutes to get from Brigham City to Preston and that is with driving through Logan with all the stoplights. And I can find the DI in Logan without any problem, but there was no sign of lace in any form. It was neat to spend a little time with Elizabeth and Ron before the snow flies. The drive to Preston is wonderful therapy.  The farmers were finishing cleaning out their fields and I felt just a little nostalgic for a long ago life.  We didn't have much time to talk about anyone, but we did talk about making little gray stuffed mice to sit on a bigger stuffed pumpkin, which was very important.

There were still piano lessons, football checkout, birthday party, choir concert (which, sad to say I didn't attend), basketball practice and a game, pajama day (when the second grader got to wear his pj's to school all day), and then we got to Wednesday with no school.  There was mutual and other goings on that kept life busy and kids happy.  However, I did get to do one really great thing.  I took Savannah to a wonderful little quilt and fabric store in Brigham City.  I think she has the quilt bug, which is such an exciting thing to see.
I was really concerned about what I was going to do with school out, but we cleaned a little, the kids played a lot, and the anticipation of their parents coming home created an excitement that was fun to watch.  I did bring the children to Orem on Thursday for a change of scenery and then met Kristen and Matt at the Maverick Center in SLC, which has become a meeting place when we need to send kids back and forth.  In the end, even though I am quite exhausted, I am thankful for the time I got to spend with some really neat grandchildren. Savannah asked Kristen if Grandma had ever told her to "stuff it" when she was a little girl.  Guess I must have said "stuff it" at some point in the week.  Hmmm, I wonder if it worked!

One of the very most important things I was reminded of is that as hard as it is, the little moments we get to spend with grown children and grandchildren are such a treat.  Difficult, yes, but ever so worth it. I am thankful for the time, thankful I survived, and thankful Kristen and Matt didn't decide to stay in Paris. Life is good.


Judy said...

Nice update, Ann. I think I know why a week seems so long when we raised kids: so much to cram into a day/week. Now that kids are gone, a week is also gone in no time. Does that make sense?

Elizabeth said...

Plus those grandchildren will never forget the time their parents were gone and Grandma took over! Congratulations on a job extremely well done!