Monday, August 4, 2008

Sleeping Dog, Crouching Cougar

Well, not really crouching. Remember this shot taken by Mother at the ranch in Sunlight? This is one sleepy dog or else the cat is very quiet. Whatever, it is a good reminder that the mountains were full of critters of which to beware. (Take a look at Steve's grissly bear on his blog.) I like the detail in the well chinked cabin in the background.
I wonder how much of the summers working there was an "adventure". When it was our turn, Mother let Ann and me take our turns working at Pahaska and Yellowstone Park, respectively. She sure placed a lot of trust in us.

5 comments:

Ann said...

The memories do come floating back of Shoshone Lodge and Blackwater Lodge. I did spend three summers working (7 days a week from Memorial Day to Labor day) working at the Lodges. Altho my third year I graduated from the Lodge to working in Cody midway through the season. I just couldn't do it anymore. It was hard work, but the two hours off in the afternoon did give a little breathing room for adventuring. I didn't think much about how difficult it must have been for Mother to let Judy and me work in the tourist environment until years later, when I found myself worrying about my children as they took off on their adventures.

Elizabeth said...

You don't suppose it was cold in those cabins in the wintertime, do you? Think the chinked logs were wind-proof? Lazy summer days for the animals, though.

Steve Blood said...

Dad Told me of the logs sounding like a cannon going off when the temp dropped way down below 0 in the middle of the night as they contracted on the outside and expanded with the heat on the inside. (I think that's how it goes.)

Ann said...

What would hold the chinking in place as the logs expanded and contracted?

Steve Blood said...

That's all I got for you.