Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Happy Birthday to Elizabeth May 28 2013



Happy Birthday to Elizabeth (Liz), my childhood pal, my beet hoeing partner, and my lifelong friend.  The memories of your handle on the pitchfork, to which you were not entitled, Mrs. Tumsey, nose-in-the-book syndrome (which got you out of an awful lot of work), the baby buggy that I stole from you to haul the white cat around in--all of these come to mind today.  Since Louise taught me how to read, I figured it would be no big deal to teach you how.  But I just wasn't the teacher Louise was.  You never could understand what "ditto, dummy, ditto" meant and so I gave up.  Somehow you made up for my lack of tutorial ability as you read your way through the Powell library.  I keep trying to insult you and make you angry just to stir things up but all you do is cheerfully reply, "I know it."  We know you have been through the depths of trials this past year and we are all so thankful for your recovery and cheerful disposition.  We all value your advice, wisdom, guidance, and lovely disposition.  You are so important to all of us as each of us continues to confront challenges.  But the most important thing is, we all stick together.  There is no animosity.  Only love.






4 comments:

Judy said...

And don't EVER forget it!

Ann said...

Happy Birthday, Elizabeth. May your day be full of sunshine and happy thoughts.

Steve Blood said...

Comment was deleted for poor proof reading. Happy birthday Big Sister!!!!

Elizabeth said...

You would make me have a few tears of happiness at your dear and loving words. We have come through a lot together, and I am so grateful for my siblings whom I love a whole bunch. (In my freshman psych class in college, the prof asked us to raise our hands if we had so many siblings - I didn't know what siblings meant, so I raised my hand at 4 - sorry I left someone out, but it will never happen again.) It's a very good day!