Thursday, June 20, 2013

Is This the Chittendon Bridge?


I hated to interrupt the fun flow about the visit to Layton, but this picture is a mystery that needs to be solved.  I found this extremely faded photograph tucked into an old envelope for Craftsman Wood Service Co. in the pile of pictures I'm sorting.  Does anyone know why:  1.  I have this picture?  2.  Why it is tucked into a Craftsman envelope?  3.  Is the significance having to do with road and    in the Park?  I can't tell, but this doesn't look like a concrete bridge????  Remember Grandpa telling the story of how they poured the concrete for the Chittendon Bridge (which no longer exists).They waited until the moon was almost full, and then, mixing the concrete by hand in big wheelbarrows, mixed and poured 24 hours a day around the clock.  It must have been an exhausting endeavor.  
    P.S.  I wrote this and then thought about doing a search for the Chittendon Bridge.  Read about it in Wikipedia - it's quite a story!  Now I know more than I knew before, but I didn't see a picture???

5 comments:

Judy said...

Yes! That is the Chittendon Bridge.

Elizabeth said...

I finally looked on the back of the faded picture - I can't tell whose handwriting it is, but it says "Mellon Arch" - just like Wikipedia says in the article about the bridge. A little bit of history for us - the link is Grandpa Wasden's labors in the Park.

Judy said...

Hmmmmm.

Ann said...

Just for fun, go back to a post on January 10, 2010 (I hope that is the date), or do a search under James Brooks Wasden. There is a photo I posted of the forms for the bridge.

Elizabeth said...

You are so right, Ann - now figure out a way to put both pictures in the same place? Isn't it funny that we find treasures in the most unexpected places. (Why have I never seen this picture before, and how did I get possession of it - piled in with 40 years of extra pictures.)