Sunday, July 20, 2008

More on Climbing Mount Ellinor


I asked Robert Petersen to elaborate on his mountain climbing exploit and he kindly furnished the following information, which I thought others would be interested in.

Mt. Ellinor is located at the southeast corner of the Olympic Mountains. This is the Mountain range between Puget Sound and the Pacific Ocean. The peak at 5,944 feet high is moderately steep but makes a great winter climb. It has a fairly steep chute over 1/4 mile long that makes a great slide coming down. (Over an hour to climb it and 5+ min to slide down.) Overall it takes about 4 hours from the car to the summit. I think I first made the assent in 1951. I’ve probably climbed it at least 20 times. Dumb me, I should have taken you up a few years ago when you were in the northwest. Being in the “tops of the mountains”, you need to know how to use an ice ax. Anyway, this old man did make it this time. Probably won’t be able to much longer. Robert P.

4 comments:

Judy said...

See why he loves the mountains? And I have finally learned to just let him go.....

Judy said...

And Dwight, thank you for putting this on the blog.

Ann said...

I have always been amazed that Bob was a mountain climber. From someone who struggles when standing on the edge of the balcony at the Marriott Center, I knew mountain climbing was something I could only admire someone else for doing. We are just always glad when we know Bob is home safe and sound.

Elizabeth said...

Who would have known all those years ago that Bob had the heart and soul of an adventurer? Climbing mountains is a pretty good metaphor for life - however, I loved the video of the slide down that was with your earlier post. That must have been pretty exhilarating.(sp?)