Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Mitty and Mr. Syrup




I don't know how or why this book came to be mine. Originally, it was a book from the School District No. 1 (Powell). The story would probably be unintelligible to children today, because it contains reference to things like coal cellars, wood boxes, the milkman bringing the milk to be given to the housewife with a dipper, etc. When I was in the second grade, I gave the book to Judy - thus the misspelled gift-giving writing on the flyleaf. Somehow, it made it's way back to me, and sits on my shelf. The pictures are charming - the story not riveting like children's books are today, but the novelty lies in seeing a picture of the past. The book was copyrighted in 1935, the year that I was born.

2 comments:

Dwight said...

OMH (oh my heck). I have long wondered about that little book and here it is.

Judy said...

For me, there were two pieces of literature that belonged to Elizabeth that I treasure above the rest. One is this book and the other is the funnybook style Old Testament Stories. I believed every word of both of them.

If I remember correctly, there is a little color crayon on a page or two of this one. The illustrations are perfect for the time and place. How about scanning more pages for the blog?

Thank you, Elizabeth.