Thursday, September 4, 2008

Minnie's Cedar Chest

After Mother died, Dad wanted her cedar chest and it's contents removed from his home to mine, with the directions to keep it safe. I have tried to do that. The glue on the boards that make the lid, got tired and Bob reglued that for me. Also one of the panels in the front had to be reglued. Other than that, it is as sturdy as ever.
As we think about our fabric collections, remember that Mother had all of her fabric, along with clothing that could be remade for us, either in the chest or stacked on top. That was it! Other clothing stored there was her own history.
I am hoping that someone will tell the story of the reason for this chest and how it came to be.
Isn't it beautiful?!

3 comments:

Ann said...

That chest holds so many happy memories for me. Having the picture of it makes me feel as though I am part owner of a real treasure. It looks beautiful and I am so glad it lives somewhere that it is given such good care. Remember how Mother would go through her chest, and we would watch as she took out each treasure, one by one. I remember all of her sewing patterns being kept in the chest, along with all of her fabric. There was the damask tablecloth that I don't remember ever being used, along with a few other treasures. I guess because of the warm memories of going through Mother's cedar chest, my cedar chest contains similar treasures, with the exception of my fabric and patterns, and that is another story (but not the BIG story that others might tell).

Elizabeth said...

We all loved it when Mother would go through her chest, showing us the flapper dresses (You wore that?), the little beaded purse, the pink plaid wool blanket that we found out was a wedding present, fabric, other old clothes, the few patterns that were used over and over, and anything else that came out of the treasure trove. The chest was there for as long as I can remember. Did Dad make it when he made the pole chairs? I wonder - perhaps Dwight and Louise remember. It was with us in Ralston, sitting in the front room.
It was significant that Dad felt that all of his daughters should have a cedar chest. Mine holds baby shoes, baby clothes, sweaters, Mother's Pendleton sweater, some of her dresses, and other treasures. Tradition mandates it.

Louise Blood said...

I'm commenting late, so you may not see this. But I'm glad you put this picture on because I had forgotten what the front of if looks like, thanks for the memory update. It is a beautiful piece.