Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Patriotic Food Pledge

"Schoolchildren joined housewives in supporting the effort by signing this pledge: 'At (the) table I'll not leave a scrap of food upon my plate. And I'll not eat between meals But for supper time I'll wait.' In support of the war effort, Americans discovered nouveau menus filled with dogfish, sugarless candy, whale meat, and horse steaks. They planted victory gardens and prized leftovers. Even President Wilson cooperated, grazing sheep on the White House lawns. The emphasis on voluntary support worked."

Lincoln school was in Denver, so this would be during Dad's hardest "growing" years. I remember him saying he was always hungry. War or no war, I don't think there was extra food to spare. But no eating between meals? Now that is harsh.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So glad you're sharing these things. Don't think I've ever seen these items. Thanks.

Ann said...

Keep going through your "stuff". I am amazed at what you are finding. Thank you for sharing.